Among the different biometric modalities like fingerprint, finger vein, palm vein, facial, etc. retinal scan is one of the most reliable ones because everyone has a unique retinal pattern that can’t be counterfeited. A retinal security scan has proven its capability in implementing reliable biometric security protocols in various high-risk sectors like border patrol and aviation. Retinal scan authentication is a complex mathematical pattern. It is a technique that identifies the unique eye patterns of an individual.
How this System works
This scanning methodology is delicate to set up, and I simply explain the criteria.
Retinal scanning is based on the fine capillary network that provides oxygen and nutrients to the retina. It works by casting an unperceived beam of low-energy infrared light into an individual’s eye as they place it close to the scanner. The beam of light travels in a straight path and hits your retina gently. The blood vessels then absorb light and can easily be visualized with the appropriate lighting. It requires a close distance between the eyes and a scanner. The appropriate position of eyes toward the scanner is also necessary. And, there must be no eye movement such as blink or glance.
Then the scanner captures the retinal image; a dedicated embedded software complies unique features for authentication. The scanner creates a micro-sized template that helps to clarify your identification.
ACCURACY WHILE USING A RETINAL SECURITY SCAN
The characteristics of the retinal scan are significantly unique for each individual/person and can be recognized from placing an eye close to the scanner. That’s why it is much more challenging to delude as compared to other biometric techniques, false acceptance rate, and the false rejection rate is remarkably low (It is being analyzed error rate is 1/1,000,000). In this way, it has become the most secure authentication technology which has been successfully used in various fields.
But there are some drawbacks when the retinal identification is being used. Even with this low rate of rejection, there are some things that can affect this technology. Although the pattern of capillary blood vessels of the retina stays the same, some conditions like diabetes, glaucoma, and cataracts can change this pattern. This makes retinal scan technology less suitable for use in offices or any other place.
MERITS OF RETINAL SECURITY SCAN SYSTEM
- It is highly scalable for any size of a project. The retinal security scanning technology has been deployed in many government projects like national ID or immigration as well as in healthcare sectors.
- An individual’s retina can be scanned from a close distance which ensures hygiene factor, unlike fingerprint scanning where you have to place your fingers on the device.
- The retinal security scanning is extremely difficult to be forged because of the uniqueness of the patterns. As a result, even with its disease-related drawbacks, it still assures the highest security level and become the most reliable biometric authentication system.
- You don’t need to master many skills to cross a retinal scanner. All you need to do is stand in front of the camera, and you are good to go. It offers user-friendly features.
- It is hard to deceive this technology, and the retinal scanning machine conveys accurate results and collects data easily.
When we are talking about the future of retinal scans, it expected to be associated with high-tech used in health care. A medical institute in Ireland is already examining the retinal scanning machine to improve security in the medication process of diabetic patients.
Also, most of the heavily secured firms use this scanning mechanism in order to uplift their security measures. A great way to get the authentication is done because reliability, accuracy, efficiency like characteristics are negotiable. Retinal security scanning is a smart security system as compared to others, and it is pretty accurate to use in your organization.